May 2014 Recipe of the Month!
Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
You can have your cake and eat it guilt-free with these taste tempting bites. The graham cracker crust, chopped fresh berries and rich frosting offer all the goodness of cheesecake in manageable portions.
- 4 egg whites
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tbls. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 packages (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, ssoftened
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Fresh strawberries and graham cracker crumbs
- Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners, set aside
- Place the cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a food processor: cover and process until fine crumbs form. Press tablespoonfuls onto bottoms of liners. Bake at 350 for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temp. for about 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites with clean beaters until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the egg whites into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites and strawberries.
- Fill muffin cups three fourths full. Bake at 350 for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a Large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost tops. Garnish with strawberries and cracker crumbs. Store in the refrigerator.